Friday, April 20, 2007

Found a website where you can order locally bred Ka Mei chickens (deveoloped in the Kadoorie Farm, not injected with hormones) and placed an order for two. They are quite pricey compared to your standard farmed birds, at $118 each (1.5kg). On the website it is stated that they will call me once having received my order and delivery will be within two days. Buggers still haven't contacted me.

Anyhow, last night I attended, for the first time, a student event. I have been to formal dinners and talks but this was specifically a "fun" event. I was asked by one of my advisees, who is on the organizing committee. I felt like I could not say no. So, this thing is called "Poor Banquet", where people have to engage in role play games, and the winners will get to eat a five course meal sitting at a table, whilst the losers have to make do with water and crackers. They have to do things which supposedly the poor do to make money, such as flattening soda cans for recycling.

It was all a bit chaotic. They came to pick me up at 7:20 (the meal was supposed to start at 7:30), but we didn't get to sit down and eat till 8:30. After stuffing my face with a few cold mussels, two sticks of satays and a plate of rice with a white sea food sauce, I said a few words ("insights", "sharing") and fled.

Went to bed at around 1 a.m. and was woken at 5 a.m. by a sodding mosquito which had biten me all over my arms, legs and neck. Still it wouldn't stop buzzing around my ears, making it impossible for me to sleep. B was suffered similarly, and he evacuated to the living room. I plastered myself with tiger balm, turned the fan on and declared, "com'on ya bastard, if you think you are hard enough!"

Tiger balm is worse than alcohol. I woke up at 10 a.m. and felt as if I had stayed up all night drinking. Terrible.

No comments: