Thursday, February 15, 2007

Had dinner in Sun Tung Kong Restaurant (Hakka cuisine) on Kwong Fuk Road last night. It's been mentioned by two foodie sociologists who also live in the area. We had chicken baked in salt, mutton in clay pot, and tofu (fried and then braised). The chicken was very tasty. Nice and chewy. The mutton was too chewy and not as tasty as I imagined it would be. The bill tallied up to HKD 280.

Then we walked past the Jockey Club on the other side of the road. The entire pavement area outside the JC was covered in smoke, where punters smoked their Marlboro lights as they studied the racing pages. Next to the JC is a side street wiith two bars. One is SOHO. The bar is as dire as its name. SOHO was very dark inside, decorated with neon lights that flashed, and the bar furniture are all chrome plated.

The bar next to it, called, After Five is quite nice. Two flat screen TVs one on each end of the bar, dark wood furniture, decent draft beers (Stella, Erdinger, Boddingtons, Guinness, Hoegaarden), and a good menu (all day fry up available). The place seems to be run by two brothers, Chinese and spoke English with a very strong London accent. They kind of behaved like how good publicans in your local should behave. They remember your name, remember your "usual" (even though it was only B's second time there), give you free nuts, compliment on your choices on the jukey. They have a decent jukebox by Hong Kong standards (lots of 80s and 90s hits, oh yeah), foosball, and a couple of tables where you can sit outside and watch old men in the pyjamas and flip flops walk by. Our happy hour rounds of two draft beers come to HKD 66 each.

I had two Boddingtons and a couple of Grouses, which is not a lot, or so I thought. But I had some really freaky dreams, woke up in the middle of the night a couple of times with a sore head, and I had that unpleasant alcoholic breath that I haven't smelt of in a long while. Felt really rough as I woke at 7 this morning and had to sleep in till 10. When I eventually dragged my ass out of bed, I could still feel the alcohol in my body. Getting old, body not what it used to be, oh yes.

No comments: