Monday, December 05, 2005

The march for democracy

Kal asked me on Friday night if I would be going to Sunday's march. I said "naaah...." and he asked why? I paused for a second to consider why. I wanted to say to him, that's a stupid question. I didn't want to go because I didn't want to go, obviously. I am not that angry. Report no. 5 was shameful, surely, but predictable.

The turnout, depending on which side of the story you are inclined to buy, is estimated at around 100k. Which is huge by any measure. Not the half a million compared to the 03 July 1st protest, of course, but still, it's pretty impressive.

As I consider this, I'm thinking, as many others do no doubt, how sad it is, that the only way for us to voice our dissatisfaction towards our government, towards what the government is doing to US - is to walk on the streets. That is sad, but also deeply moving. We chose to WALK - we did not choose to burn cars or throw stones.

So Kal and Giorgio went to the march. Being the cynic that I am, I wonder how much Giorgio knows about what exactly he was marching for. Who knows, maybe he knows more than me.

No comments: