Sunday, November 13, 2005

I am so moved by my horrible relatives

Was supposed to go to M's premier at 71 tonight - which I thought was last night - but completely forgot that tonight is Jerome's one month birthday (?) kith and kin do so I had to be there really. B is at Trailwalker do in Shek O, so I had to bring both monkeys by myself.

My family has always stressed its own importance. The FAMILY connection. And it's at dos like tonight that I come to appreciate how right they are. Most of the time, I don't want anything to do with them; I have very little in common with them, and I dread every occasion when the leave a message on my voice mail asking me to call them back.

But tonight, it was very nice. Quite unexpectedly so. The monkeys were acting up like there's no tomorrow, but their appalling behaviour was tolerated, and was found amusing. What really struck me is that they must know that these strange people really do love them, regardless of how badly behaved they were, are, or will be - they will always be loved and accepted and considered special, just because they are kin.

My uncle (my mum's brother) was there tonight as well and he told me he's had dinner and drinks with G a few days ago and they had a nice long chat. Isn't that something? I mean, they hardly see one another. But because they are kin, G obviously felt comfortable to do a bit of a heart to heart with our uncle. And isn't that wonderful? That the nephew uncle relationship will always be there, and the unconditional acceptance will always be there.

I have become more than a little critical of the institution of the family of late. But tonight, maybe it's the wine, maybe it's Jerome's loveliness, maybe it's just that time of the month, but tonight, I really am glad that I have it. It's here not only for me, my brothers, but also for the monkeys. So completely unconditionally.

No comments: