Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Heartless and uncharitable, I can be

I have come to the conclusion that I can be a pretty uncharitable character. I have little sympathy for people who, in my view, make bad choices. I have little symapthy for people who do not choose to take what is, for me, the obvious course of action.

I haven't always made the right choices, of course. But I have yet to find myself in a situation where I am desperate but too stubborn to do what is right. It could happen to me though, obviously.

What is it like to be in that kind of situation? What is it like to be unable to go pass yourself and see the light at the other end of the tunnel? If I were in that situation, what would I want other people to do for me? Would there be anything that others could do for me at all?

I really admire those who show such great generosity, such great charity, such love, even though they had been wronged and mistreated and exploited by the same persons who now find themselves in a rut. Who now are desperate but too stubborn to do what is right. People who still reach out and sacrifice their time and energy and give what they can. Because they are charitable. Not like me.

No comments: