Friday, October 17, 2008

Haven't been feeling terribly enthusiastic about my teaching lately. One course I teach this term is a new course and assessment does not include a final exam. I guess I should have known that for a class this big, not having a final exam will, for many students, translate into "no need to go to class". If it is a small class then they will feel more visible and hence will feel more obliged to show up.

Anyhow, it's half term already, nearly there, nearly there.

Have been trying to pull together this paper I am writing on indecent assault and sexual harassment. How appropriate it is that I should receive an obscene phone call last week! Haven't had one of these in quite a while. Interesting that this was displayed as a long distance call.

Hello?

....~~~P..p...ppp...pier....eeerre?

Yes, this is Pierre.

p....pp....pierre?

Yes, who is this?


[heavy duty panting follows]

I hang up the phone. Thinking, what the hell was that? Do I know any frail old man overseas who would call me at my office? Or a man overseas who would call me at my office using a very bad line?

Five seconds later phone rang again. Same guy.

Hello?

[Very heavy panting]

Pierre.... pierre..eh....huh....e....e....

Who is this?

Oh... pierre......ehhh....e.......hmmmmm...


I hang up the phone and left it off the hook for ten minutes.

No comments: