Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Waiting for the bread to rise

Don't know what's up with me but I've been feeling so tired and sleepy all day. The teaching was fine, and I'll be so glad when it's this time next week cos I'll be done with teaching my part of the HK Today course.

I left the office at around 5 and went to the California Fitness gym at Central. It's my first time there and the place really lives up to its reputation - it's a dump. Well, actually, to be fair, parts of it is under renovation so perhaps it might look better when that's finished. But still, it's really small and crammed and seemed much darker than the TST one. None of the nicer treadmills were available so I had to wait for a while and go use the old ones downstairs. I set myself to run for 5.5k, did some uphills and a few minutes here and there of faster running, and finished in around 40 minutes. Then I rowed for ten minutes. On the ONLY rowing machine that is not used by someone else. There was a tv in the ladies changing room. Which is pretty weird. It's even weirder that there were people kinda standing around in their knickers, actually watching it.

Then I went to EFM. Tonight John invited a Franciscan brother of the the third order, who has been living in Korean for the past 10 years or so, to come talk to the group. It wasn't very interesting, and I was getting quite bored and tired after an hour and a half of this guy answering Catherine's perpetual question of "how to pray?" ...

What's worse, John got a phone call around 30 minutes into the evening and left the room for about 15 minutes. When he came back, he was obviously completely distracted and preoccupied b whatever that phone call was about, and was checking his phone for text messages continuously throughout the rest of the evening. It was pretty rude of him, I thought. And him being distracted by something else was a major reason why the Francescan guy was dragging on and on and on... Everyone (except Catherine, perhaps) was looking at John for a cue to start a new topic of discussion. But that moment never came. He just kinda let the dead air circulate whilst checking his phone... I mean, all he need to say was "okay shall we talk about this week's readings then?" or something, anything. It must have been something really important - but then again, why didn't he just excuse himself and leave? Baffles me.

Well at least the cornbeef pasties and veggie samosas were good.

No comments: