Wednesday, March 02, 2005

It's fucking hopeless!

I've been overwhelmed with errands. It's been weeks now. Weeks and weeks. They just keep piling up and I've resorted to writing a to-do list first thing I get into the office each morning. Not that I always get in during the morning. But you know what I mean.

So I start writing down my lists. Typically seven, eight, nine, sometimes ten items, on a post-it and stick it on the wall right where I can see it. Then I realised it's unrealistic to put down more than five otherwise I'll just have to re-write them on tomorrow's list.

Half way into the morning I'll be searching frantically for the post-it. I KNOW it's fallen off the wall and is somewhere on my desk but where the fuck is it?? I can't be bothered to go through all the crap on my table. If I want to go through the zillions of sheets of paper on my desk I would NOT have any need for a to-do list, I'd just do EVERYTHING instead of just those listed right?

Then I'll be getting my mid-morning sugar craving and I'll start searching for my Alpen bars instead. Failing that, I'll look for bits of chocolate, rice cakes, saltine crackers. As I munched on whatever I happened to lay my hands on, I would get disgusted by the sight of my crumb-filled keyboard. I tried blowing on it and shaking it upside down and picking out individual keys and then looking for toothpicks to wrap a bit of tissue around to clean out the cracks.... oh God. You know what I mean. It's fucking hopeless.

Eventually the stupid post-it reappears. Along with another post-it, from I don't know when. Then I'll be trying to figure out which was the one I wrote today. Then I thought, perhaps I should date my post-its, maybe write in my diary where I'd put the post-it... Then I'd say to myself fuck it, what I need is a holiday, not another sodding to-do list with a sodding date on it to stick it on my sodding wall which doesn't even sodding stick.

No comments: