Tuesday, January 04, 2005

What it feels like to have a broken bone in your rear end

Fell down the stairs on my bum on the day we arrived in Inverness. I screamed as I slid uncontrollably down those steps, the dog barked and tears rolled down my cheeks. Fractured my coccyx and was in agony for about a week.

I don't think I have ever experienced anything so painful for so long a period of time. Walking wasn't too bad but I could barely move myself from standing to sitting and vice versa. Changing sides whilst lying down in bed gave me pain so tense that I had to do breathing exercises which I'd learnt in prenatal classes (amazingly, evacuation activities caused no pain at all). Walking all day long wasn't really a feasible option given the cold and wet weather, and neither was sitting or standing all day long. I could only sit on one side of my rear end anyway, which was not an easy act to balance, broken coccyx or not. Must be bit like having haemorrhoids. I guess.

The doctor at the hospital said it'll take at least four weeks to heal, but it's been two weeks and I already feel miles better. Even managed a run last night. For this, I am very thankful.

No comments: