Monday, January 17, 2005

Music, I like

Still haven't figured out how to delete songs from my iPod. But the joy it brings far outweighs the mild irritation this has caused me.

I'm sure it's been said before but I'll say it again. Pop music is great. It provides those much needed punctuation marks in our often chaotic, half-baked, muddle of a life. Pop songs mark emotionally significant events in the life of a youngster. When you reach thirty-something, you will have enough songs in your iPod to remind you of practically every emotionally significant moment in your life. Came across a few in the shuffle last night:

Milkman of Human Kindness - Billy Bragg
The Look of Love - ABC
Bluetonic - the Bluetones
Nothing Can Stop Us Now - Saint Etienne
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - the Carpenters (don't ask)
Wrote for Luck - Happy Mondays

If only I can put my records on the iPod as well... a bit of This Mortal Coil and Dead Can Dance won't go amiss... (only joking)

I think it is good to have a handy little gadget like the iPod to be there to remind me of those points in my life. Not that my life is any more or less interesting than the next person's, but for my own sake it is good to be able to remember. Like writing, it gives you a better perspective on yourself as a work in progress.

The first CD I bought was New Order's Brotherhood. I won a portable Sony CD player from a radio contest. The question was "What's Elton John's favourite sport"? So I went out and bought Brotherhood. I couldn't stop listening to it for months. Apparently a new album is on the way.

No comments: