Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Let them eat like monkeys

It was my duty at J's playgroup again yesterday and the amah was telling me what to do with the bananas. I had wanted to peel and slice them so the kids could eat them with a fork, you know, like in a civilized manner. But Yin Je (amah's name) insisted that I should just chop it into three bits and let the kids eat them like monkeys. Oh well. I guess she knows best.

The night before I baked a "cake", recipe as follows:

110 g self-raising flour
100 g caster sugar
100 g unsalted butter (I didn't bother to weigh it on the scales)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (I accidentally used way too much)
1 tsp baking powder

The recipe is for a classic sponge (from none other than Delia Smith)which calls for 2 7-inch cake tin of which I do not possess. I used what I got which is a 10 inch instead. Result was a "cake" that looks like a thin slice of bread. This not very appetizing looking produce did not tempt the monkeys. I had to bring practically all of it back home. Luckily, O, the indiscriminate chomper, did not mind.

The sandwiches had gone down really well though, they ate like a pack of hungry wolves - especially this chubby one with bulging eyes and an evil look on his fat face - he scoffed at least 5 sandwiches.

No comments: