Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Insane people are everywhere

Just back from duty at J's playgroup again. I'm getting pretty good at parking there and haven't landed in the ditch for a while. Amen't I clever.

Surreal exchanges with the amah Yin Che today. Still couldn't quite work out what the f**k happened. Anyhow, here's the story.

We were doing a bit of banal chit chatting and all was well until she saw the cookies I produced.

"You made these cookies?" Yin Che asked as I was wiping the table top with Dettol Disinfectant.

"....er, yes, heh heh.... cheaper than buying.... heh heh...."

Then something in the air changed. I felt a chill down my spine. Somehow she seemed to have been offended by what I said. She shot me a stern look and took on the expression of a character from some Cantonese Opera*.

"Cheap? How cheap." She demanded.

"...oh, it's just flour and sugar and chocolate chips.... a few dollars..." You may have noticed that I've dropped the "heh heh".

".... that's cheap", she said. I'm breathing again.

"It's dead easy to make, throw everything together and it only takes 15 mins.... and..."

"Easy??? How can you say it is easy! Don't say it's easy! You can't say that!" She was literally shouting at me now. I trembled. I could feel blood draining from my head towards my feet.

She started moving towards the door, no doubt finding my unreasonable comments about those cookies being "easy" to make SO intolerably stupid and offensive that she had to leave the room.

"You need an oven to make these cookies! Not everyone has an oven! Easy?! It's NOT easy!"

She left. I think she slammed the door a bit although that could have been my imagination.

Is she insane or what?

* resembling the guy on the left in this picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aiya,I think you have way toooooo much time on your hands la.
You know who I am!!!